Tuesday, March 31, 2009

More Bands

K, so my last few blog posts have been about some of my favorite bands. I've enjoyed it because it's so easy to write about things you love! So I'm gonna be continuing tradition for a few more weeks!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

If you had to name the one band that had the biggest influence on rock 'n roll, it would be The Beatles hands down. No other band has had nearly the impact that The Beatles did back in their day. They are another one of my all-time favorite bands. Unfortunately, they broke up in 1970 after John Lennon left the band.

I first head The Beatles when I was in fifth grade. I had heard of them before, but I didn't really hear any of their music until then. Every year, my teacher would write a different fifth grade program. She put in some pretty cool songs now that I think about it. Among them was I Want to Hold Your Hand by The Beatles. A group of friends and I tried out to sing it. We were the only ones to try out for that particular song, so we made it. We got to dress up like The Beatles and use blow-up electric airs. Man, we were so cool! During the performance all the girls would scream for us and we got to act like rock stars, it was the best!

But yeah, that was the first time I had ever heard them. My teacher had a Beatles album that she let me borrow. I started really listening to them after that. I discovered so many songs that were just absolutely amazing! There's no other word to describe some of them. One of my favorites is Across the Universe. John Lennon sings it in a way that brings this feeling of peace over you. There's this part that he starts the chorus with that's in a different language. I don't know exactly what language it is, but he sings, "Jai guru deva om", which I think translates to something like, "Victory to God divine". I think it's pretty cool. But there are so many fantastic songs that they sing. Can't Buy Me Love, A Hard Day's Night, Hello Goodbye, Help, Here Comes the Sun, Hey Jude, I Me Mine, I Want to Hold Your Hand, Let It Be, Love Me Do, Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds, and of course Yellow Submarine.

Hey Jude is another one of my all-time favorite Beatles songs. It starts out with Paul McCartney singing with a piano in the background. It's another one of those songs that makes you feel at peace. In a way, it gives you hope. Paul sings to someone named Jude that things are going to be better. It has great lyrics. He sings to Jude for a few minutes, and then sings, "Na na na na na na na na na na, hey Jude" for the last couple minutes of the song. It's truly the work of a genius.

So there's my opinion about The Beatles. I know most people would agree with me in saying that The Beatles are one of, if not the most influential bands out there. On top of that, their music is great! Definitely one of my favorite bands. I guess that'll be it for this week, I'll have another band for next week! ;)

0 comments: