Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Better continue writing... I think I missed a week...

Alright, I'm not really sure what to write about today... Oh! I've got it! I'll tell about my friend in Haiti! Ok, so me, my family, and our cousins went on a cruise this last summer. It was a blast! We went to the Caribbean, and one of our stops was in Labadee, Haiti. It was our first stop, so I was new to the whole being a new country thing. We spent most of the day on the beach, where my cousin got stung by a jellyfish... She was ok, but she said it hurt a ton! The girls went and got their hair braided, and after that we had lunch. It was pretty good, because Royal Caribbean provided it for us! So after that we were heading back to the ship, but the girls just HAD to go to the shops. Now remember, this was our first shop, so I was still getting used to the way that the people selling stuff work. There was a building that had a bunch of islanders selling things. They ranged from guitars, to magnets, to wooden flutes. We get the the outside of the long, narrow building, and one of the islanders tells me he wants to show me something that I will like. So being new at this, I followed him. He started showing me a wooden flute, and a box that said Haiti on it. He kept pressuring me to buy them and I had no intention of buying either of them. So he kept telling me he was my friend, and asked me what my name was. I saw no harm in telling him my first name, so I told him. What he did next caught me off guard. He grabbed a chisel and started carving my name into the flute! So twenty bucks later, I'm stuck with a flute that doesn't even work... When my uncle heard what happened, he just laughed... And now that it's all over, I do too! My cousins and I now have a joke that if someone is a good friend, they are not like my friend from Haiti!

0 comments: