Monday, May 18, 2009

21st Century Breakdown Part II


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones


I know I did a review of 21st Century Breakdown last week, but it's all that's been on my mind the whole week! The album was officially released Friday the 15th and it's all I've been listening to ever since. Plus, we got tickets to the concert the day they went on sale, so I've got to get pumped for it!

This week I'm going to write a little review of each song, and I've included a Playlist of them all in case you want to follow along! Just a warning, a couple of the songs swear, so those of you with tender ears may want to be cautious before listening to any of the songs (namely Before the Lobotomy, Horseshoes and Handgrenades, The Static Age, and American Eulogy).


Song of the Century:
This is the opening song for the album, although it's more of an introduction than a song. There is no music; all it is is about 40 seconds of Billie Joe singing what I would call an introduction. I think it's a cool edition to the album.

21st Century Breakdown:
This was the first song I ever heard from the album. A couple months before the release, someone obtained an illegal leak of the song, so naturally, I downloaded it. The first time I listened to it, I wasn't really sure what to think. With powerful lyrics mocking the chaos of the 21st century, it was edgy and bold. That's one thing I really like about Green Day; if they disagree with something, they're not afraid to say it. Anyways, the song started growing on me the more I heard it, and now it's one of my favorites!

Know Your Enemy:
Know Your Enemy was the first single off of 21st Century Breakdown. It's definitely a hard rockin' song, which you've always gotta love! It, like 21st Century Breakdown, is bold. Put hard rockin' and bold together and you have an awesome song! The only complaint I have about it is how repetitive it is... At least half of the song is "Do you know the enemy / Do you know your enemy / Well gotta know the enemy right here!". I'm not gonna lie, it's an awesome song, but I think they could have been a little more creative!


¡Viva la Gloria!:
One might call the beginning of this song a ballad. It starts out softly on piano and then drives into a fast paced song that kind of reminds me of Letterbomb from American Idiot. The first time I heard this one was on a live YouTube video before the album was released. It's not my favorite song, but it's definitely a good one! It talks a little bit about Gloria, one of the main characters in the rock-opera.

Before the Lobotomy:
Before the Lobotomy is one of my favorite songs from 21st Century Breakdown. It starts off soft with a slow, catchy chorus and then, once again, drives into a rocking song talking about how our society has pretty much just fallen apart. It compares us to the past and makes you realized that we are in chaos, and it's all our fault.

Christian's Inferno:
I would say that Christian's Inferno is Green Day's most punk rock song on 21st Century Breakdown. With heavily distorted guitar and Billie singing in his darkest voice, how could it not be? The song itself is about the other main character, Christian. Nothing is going right for him, and he essentially breaks down.

Last Night on Earth:
This song is Green Day's slow song for 21st Century Breakdown. It's a love song that Billie Joe wrote for his wife. I think it's a beautiful ballad.

East Jesus Nowhere:
To be honest, I'm really not sure what to think about East Jesus Nowhere. Even though it's a rockin' song, it's a rant against modern religion. Basically, it calls us all hypocrites. In a way, some of it is true for other religions out there. I believe there are immoral church leaders out there, but I like to think that us Mormons are, for the most part, good, honest people. It really makes you think...

Peacemaker:
I think this, along with American Eulogy, is my favorite song of the whole album. It's different, and that's what makes it good. It kind of sounds Spanish or something European... Whatever it is, it's awesome!

Last of the American Girls:
This is a great song. Last of the American Girls tells about a girl (presumably Gloria) who, according to the title, is the last of the American girls. It tells about little things she does that makes her different and American. It has a great beat to it, so it's alltogether a great song.

Murder City:
Not one of my favorite songs, but it's still a good one. Fun beat, powerful lyrics, adds up to a pretty sweet song!

¿Viva La Gloria? (Little Girl):
Like Peacemaker, Little Girl is another one of those songs that is different. It stands out. It sounds Italian or something, and has a good beat. I really like it! Definitely one you should listen to.

Restless Heart Syndrome:
Once again, not one of my favorites. It's kind of like a lesser Boulevard of Broken Dreams. It has a lot of the same chords and beats. I love Boulevard of Broken Dreams, but this one definitely is not one of my favorites.

Horseshoes and Handgrenades:
This is an incredible song! It has some a bit of language, but it's another great punk-rock song. The music is fast and powerful, and the lyrics are pretty much an in-your-face screw-you to society. I love how Green Day's not afraid to say stuff like that!

The Static Age:
Another incredible song! It sounds a lot like Church on Sunday from their album Warning. Church on Sunday was a great song, so naturally, this one is too. Plus, the lyrics are great. It's about living in static; we have to watch closely if we want to be able to know what's going on.

21 Guns:
It's not a fast paced song, but it's definitely one of the great ones from 21st Century Breakdown. It questions if what we're fighting for is really worth it. It's a thought provoking song and I really like it.

American Eulogy:
American Eulogy is divided into two parts; Mass Hysteria and Modern World. They are fast paced rockers talk about how screwed up society is. The first part is about the hysteria we are in while the second part merely states that "I don't wanna live in the modern world!" It's definitely one of my favorites along with Peacemaker.

See the Light:
See the Light is an excellent way to close the album. It starts off with the same guitar riff that started 21st Century Breakdown and goes into lyrics about just wanting to see the light. With all the chaos, who wouldn't? It would be nice to be able to know that we're almost through with all that's going on, have a little hope. Altogether, it's an incredible ending to an incredible album.

Well I hope you liked my review! I had fun writing it, so I hope you had run reading it! If you didn't listen to any of the songs, make sure you do! You will not regret it! If you only have time for a couple, make sure you go for Peacemaker, Last of the American Girls, The Static Age, and American Eulogy! They're my favorites!

Until next week, peace out!

0 comments: